Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Khan Academy (dot com)

I'm ecstatic! And you should be too!

"The Khan Academy is a not-for-profit educational organization created by Salman Khan. With the stated mission of "providing a high quality education to anyone, anywhere", the website supplies a free online collection of over 2,150 micro lectures via video tutorials stored on YouTube teaching mathematics, history, finance, physics, chemistry, biology, astronomy, and economics.[1]"

Now, if you don't know me personally, I hate the education system. I’m in my second year of university and it’s the third semester in a row that has made me cringe and want to shed tears. I loathe it and I’m thinking to perhaps become a yoga teacher, since I love hot yoga, and it would allow me to do my own studies on the side.

Although TED waited a year to present Khan Academy, it could not have arrived at a better time.

There are infinite possibilities with this.

I’ve been meaning to finish my advanced math’s so that I could get into calculus and whatnot, but now, I don’t have to pay a dime, nor do I have to travel anywhere or deal with a half assed teacher to learn what I want. I can do it all on Khan.

This makes me wonder. Because of Khan’s features: measuring how many videos you’ve watched, how many exercises you’ve done, as well as which you’ve accomplished and failed, will this be a new measure for job prerequisites? Because it should.

Imagine.

Rather than having to get a degree at school, on somebody else’s time, you do it on you’re OWN time, for FREE.

Job employers can then see what you know, see what you’ve learned, and pick you out from there.

My stats:


This is going to change everything, EVERYTHING.


Here is Salman Khan's TED talk.



[1] - Michels, Spencer (2010-02-22). "Khan Academy: How to Calculate the Unemployment Rate". PBS NewsHour. PBS. http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2010/02/khan-academy-how-to-calculate-the-unemployment-rate.html. Retrieved 2011-01-05.

No comments:

Post a Comment