Thursday, June 25, 2009

Purple Cow



Book #2 from Seth Godin

So this is a business/marketing book. And marketing is no longer a division of business. Marketing IS business. (sorry for the repetition)

We are now in the 21st C and the rules of marketing from the previous century don't run shit anymore. Well, that's not ENTIRELY true, the concepts can still apply, but this is now a whole new world.

What I mean is: the world is flat. Not flat like they believed 500 years ago, but flat as in “a flat world: a global, web-enabled platform for multiple forms of sharing knowledge and work, irrespective of time, distance, geography and increasingly, language.” http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/266

Remember the 4 P's or marketing, sometimes 5 ? Product, Price, Promotion, Place, People.

Well Purple Cow is the new P.

After reading this book I have realized that building a good business has the same core values as being a good human being. I would say your business reflects your personality and who you are. Thus if you want to start a business, time to hit the self help section @ chapters :P

It would be interesting to see what psychologists would have to say after analyzing someone's business and later having a session with them and compare the results.

Also as I was reading this, I was betting that Godin and Gladwell are friends and that Gladwell got his inspiration for Outliers from this very book.

I just sent an email to Godin before I started writing this, and (im not even surprised) 5 minutes later I received one back from him. Amazing. He is truly a marketing Guru.

(inside scoop: apparently Seth's fav restaurant in Canada is Aux Vivres, he told me so himself! hah!)

No comments:

Post a Comment